In this episode of Doing Diversity in Writing, we—Bethany and Mariëlle—ask Erin Olds, CEO of Salt & Sage Books, all our questions about sensitivity reading.
Listen to it here on Podbean or find us on your favourite podcast app.
Who is Erin Olds?
Erin Olds loves to travel, read, and drink boba tea! She currently lives in Seattle, where she homeschools her two excellent children. Erin is the CEO of and editor at Salt & Sage Books, an editing company dedicated to kindness. With a degree in English and French, Erin has worked with authors of all ages her whole adult life. Her poetry and short fiction have been published in various journals and magazines and won a variety of awards. She is a hybrid published author, with several indie books out under a pen name and her first traditionally published book (still a secret!) in progress.
What we talked about
- What sensitivity reading is and who sensitivity readers are
- The kind of sensitivity reading requests Salt & Sage Books receives most often
- The emotional labor that goes into sensitivity reading
- Some alternative options for writers with limited budgets
(Re)sources mentioned on the show
- The Salt & Sage Books website: https://www.saltandsagebooks.com
The Salt & Sage Books Twitter account: https://twitter.com/saltandsagebook
- The Salt & Sage Books Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/saltandsagebooks
- The Salt & Sage Books Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/saltsagebooks
- The Salt & Sage Books Incomplete Guides: https://books2read.com/ap/8Vy9vl/Salt-Sage-Books
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao: https://xiranjayzhao.com
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas: https://www.aiden-thomas.com/cemetery-boys
- Ghost Squad by Claribel Ortega: https://www.claribelortega.com/ghostsquad
- The Timber Falls series by Fiona West: https://fionawest.net/contemporary-books
- Penny Reid’s work and blog: https://pennyreid.ninja
- Have Geek, Will Travel by Rebecca Blevins: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56610467-have-geek-will-travel
- Sachiko Burton of Salt & Sage Books: https://www.saltandsagebooks.com/profiles/sachiko-burton
- Bethany’s Editing Your Novel’s Structure: Tips, Tricks, and Checklists to Get You From Start to Finish: https://theartandscienceofwords.com/new-book-for-authors