In this episode of Doing Diversity in Writing, we—Bethany and Mariëlle—talk about naming our fictional characters.
Listen to it here on Podbean or find us on your favourite podcast app.
What we talked about
- General things to look out for when picking our characters’ names
- All the different aspects that might influence which names make sense for your characters
- Where to look for names
- How to verify whether these names are appropriate for your characters or not
(Re)sources mentioned on the show
- Think Baby Names: http://www.thinkbabynames.com
- Behind the Name: https://www.behindthename.com
- Behind the Surname: https://surnames.behindthename.com
- Mariëlle’s 52 Weeks of Writing Author Journal and Planner: https://mswordsmith.nl/journal
Subscribe to our newsletter here and get our Doing Diversity in Writing Toolkit, including our Calm the F*ck Down Checklist and Cultural Appropriation Checklist.
As always, we’d love for you to join the conversation by filling out our Writer and Reader Questionnaires.
Leave a Reply