In this episode of Doing Diversity in Writing, we—Bethany and Mariëlle—scratch the surface of an incredibly broad topic: writing interracial and intercultural relationships.
Listen to it here on Podbean or find us on your favourite podcast app.
What we talked about
- That writing relationships between characters of different races and cultures is really not that different from writing relationships between characters who are not exactly the same for other reasons
- Questions to ask yourself and things to keep in mind when crafting interracial and intercultural relationships in your writing
- A ton of examples in which interracial and intercultural relationships are depicted well and convincingly
(Re)sources mentioned on the show
- Payne Erskin’s The Mountain Girl: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11084308-the-mountain-girl
- Disney’s Pocahontas: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114148
- Stargate SG-1: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118480
- The Karate Kid (1984): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538
- The Karate Kid (2010): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155076
- Kim’s Convenience: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5912064
- Bend It Like Beckham: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286499
- Blinded by the Light: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8266310
- Sarfraz Mansoor’s Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion, and Rock N Roll: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V7U6LE
- The Grand Budapest Hotel: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388
- Angie Thomas’s The Hate U Give: https://angiethomas.com/the-hate-u-give
- Benjamin Alire Saenz’s The Inexplicable Logic of My Life: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23447923-the-inexplicable-logic-of-my-life
- Kim Dare’s Axel’s Pup: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21522467-axel-s-pup
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe: https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline
- Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter series: https://shadowhunters.com
- Never Have I Ever: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10062292
- Bright: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5519340
- Bridgerton: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8740790
- Young Royals: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14664414
- Bethany’s Editing Your Novel’s Structure: Tips, Tricks, and Checklists to Get You From Start to Finish: https://theartandscienceofwords.com/new-book-for-authors
Subscribe to our newsletter here and get our Doing Diversity in Writing Toolkit, including our Calm the F*ck Down Checklist and Cultural Appropriation Checklist.
As always, we’d love for you to join the conversation by filling out our Writer and Reader Questionnaires.
Leave a Reply