In this episode of Doing Diversity in Writing, Bethany and guest host Louvie Tucker talk about writing better male characters. This is the first part of a two-part episode on the topic.
Listen to it here on Podbean or find us on your favourite podcast app.
What we talked about
- Masculinity in terms of definition
- How class affects definitions of masculinity
- Deconstructing arrogance, emotionality, and protective instincts assigned to male characters
- Should we write all male characters with straightforward personalities?
- The male character, lust, and ego
- Making room in our stories for male characters who aren’t leaders or in search of power
- The myth of the capable gentleman
- The effects of wish fulfilment writing on men
(Re)sources mentioned on the show
- May 10th, 2022 Video Tiktok by @marcusterritory “When I stopped identifying with the label ‘man’”: https://www.tiktok.com/@marcusterritory/video/7096216725351337222?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
- “The Selfishness of Altruism” by Loretta G. Breuning: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-neurochemical-self/201604/the-selfishness-altruism
- “Men and Things, Women and People: A Meta-Analysis of Sex Differences in Interests” by Rong Su et al.: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/38061313_Men_and_Things_Women_and_People_A_Meta-Analysis_of_Sex_Differences_in_Interests
- “How to Write a Damn Good Man” by Robert Wood: https://www.standoutbooks.com/writing-male-characters/
Articles we found problematic but are useful for conversation
- “How to Write a Male Character” by Josh Prior: https://www.jeuneauthors.com/post/how-to-write-a-male-character#:~:text=Even%20if%20you%27re%20writing,what%27s%20in%20it%20for%20him
- “On Writing Convincing Male Characters” by Randy Ingermanson: https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/blog/2010/08/13/on-writing-convincing-male-characters/
Films and novels referenced during the episode
- The Indiana Jones franchise
- Gladiator starring Russel Crowe
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Hunger Games series written by Suzanne Collins
- John Wick 1, 2, & 3
- The Visitor by Louvie Tucker
- The Queen’s Enforcer by Ciara Darren
Find Louvie Tucker’s novel, The Visitor, here. Available in eBook and print form on Amazon, and as an eBook in most online stores.
Subscribe to our newsletter here and get out Doing Diversity in Writing Toolkit, including our Calm the F*ck Down Checklist and Cultural Appropriation Checklist:
As always, we’d love for you to join the conversation by filling out our Writer and Reader Questionnaires.
Leave a Reply